What is a 75 25 Mortgage : The Ultimate Guide




As an affiliate, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.

What is a 75/25 Mortgage?

Are you looking to buy a new home? Or maybe you’re considering refinancing your existing mortgage? In either case, you may have come across the term “75/25 mortgage.” But what exactly does it mean?

A 75/25 mortgage, also known as an 75% first mortgage with a 25% second mortgage or a piggyback loan, is a financing option that allows homebuyers to secure a loan for 75% of the purchase price or appraised value of a home, while the remaining 25% is financed through a second mortgage. This type of mortgage can be an attractive choice for borrowers who want to avoid paying private mortgage insurance (PMI).

How does a 75/25 mortgage work?

Let’s say you want to purchase a home worth $200,000. With a 75/25 mortgage, you would apply for a first mortgage covering 75% of the price, which equals $150,000 in this case. The remaining 25%, or $50,000, would be financed through a secondary mortgage.

The first mortgage usually has a lower interest rate compared to the second mortgage, as it is considered less risky for the lender. The second mortgage, on the other hand, typically comes with a higher interest rate and may have a shorter repayment term.

Advantages of a 75/25 mortgage

1. Avoiding PMI: One of the main advantages of a 75/25 mortgage is that it allows borrowers to avoid paying PMI. Typically, when a homebuyer puts less than 20% down payment, they are required to pay PMI, which protects the lender in case the borrower defaults on the loan. By splitting the financing into two separate loans, borrowers can reach the desired 20% down payment threshold without the need for PMI.

2. Lower down payment: With a 75/25 mortgage, borrowers can secure a mortgage with a lower down payment compared to a conventional mortgage. Instead of putting down the usual 20%, they only need to provide 25% of the home’s purchase price.

3. Flexibility in terms: Having two separate loans gives borrowers more flexibility in terms of repayment options. They can choose different terms for each loan, such as a longer term for the first mortgage and a shorter term for the second mortgage.


While a 75/25 mortgage can be advantageous for some borrowers, it’s important to carefully consider a few factors:

  1. Higher interest rate: The second mortgage typically comes with a higher interest rate compared to the first mortgage. Borrowers should carefully evaluate the total cost over the life of both loans to ensure it fits within their financial capabilities.
  2. Refinancing challenges: If you need to refinance in the future, having two separate loans can make the process more complicated compared to having a single mortgage. It’s essential to understand how this might impact your financial situation down the line.
  3. Responsibility for two loans: Borrowers need to understand that they will be responsible for repaying two separate loans simultaneously. This includes making two monthly mortgage payments, which may affect their budgeting and cash flow.

Before deciding on a 75/25 mortgage, it’s wise to consult with a mortgage professional who can help you evaluate your specific financial situation and determine if this type of mortgage is the right fit for you.

In conclusion, a 75/25 mortgage is an alternative financing option that allows homebuyers to avoid private mortgage insurance by splitting their financing into a first mortgage for 75% of the home’s value and a second mortgage for the remaining 25%. While it offers advantages such as lower down payment and flexibility in terms, borrowers should carefully consider the higher interest rate and potential challenges when refinancing.

Frequently Asked Questions On What Is A 75 25 Mortgage : The Ultimate Guide

What Is A 75 25 Mortgage?

A 75 25 mortgage is a type of mortgage where the borrower pays 25% of the home’s value as a down payment and borrows the remaining 75% from a lender.

How Does A 75 25 Mortgage Work?

With a 75 25 mortgage, the borrower pays a down payment of 25% of the home’s value and finances the rest with a loan. This allows for a smaller down payment compared to traditional mortgages.

What Are The Benefits Of A 75 25 Mortgage?

A 75 25 mortgage offers the benefit of a lower down payment, making it easier for borrowers to purchase a home. It allows borrowers to keep more of their savings for other purposes.

Can Anyone Qualify For A 75 25 Mortgage?

Qualification for a 75 25 mortgage depends on various factors. Lenders typically consider credit scores, income, employment history, and debt-to-income ratio when determining eligibility.

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest posts

  • Pay off Mortgage Or Student Loans : Making the Smart Financial Choice!

    Pay off Mortgage or Student Loans When it comes to managing your finances, one of the biggest decisions you may face is whether to pay off your mortgage or student loans first. Both debts can weigh heavily on your budget and overall financial well-being. In this article, we’ll explore the factors to consider when making…

    Read more

  • Mortgage Payment Lost in Mail : Avoiding Financial Stress

    Mortgage Payment Lost in Mail Have you ever experienced the frustration and anxiety of a lost mail containing your mortgage payment? It can be a stressful situation, but fear not! In this article, we will discuss what to do if your mortgage payment is lost in the mail and how to prevent this issue in…

    Read more

  • Can I Change Mortgage Companies Without Refinancing: Insider Tips

    Can I Change Mortgage Companies Without Refinancing When it comes to your mortgage, it’s natural to want the best deal possible. As an homeowner, you may find yourself wondering if you can change mortgage companies without going through the lengthy and expensive process of refinancing. Well, the good news is that it is indeed possible…

    Read more