Ex Partner Hasn’t Paid Half the Mortgage for a Year: Discover How to Resolve Financial Disputes Amicably




As an affiliate, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.

Ex Partner Hasn’t Paid Half the Mortgage for a Year

Breaking up is hard enough, but when your ex-partner fails to fulfill their financial obligations, it can be incredibly frustrating and stressful. If you find yourself in a situation where your former partner hasn’t paid their share of the mortgage for a year, here are some steps you can take to address this issue.

1. Review The Mortgage Agreement

The first step is to review the original mortgage agreement you both signed when you purchased the property together. Look for any clauses related to the division of payments and any consequences for non-payment. Understanding the legal framework will help you assess your options moving forward.

2. Communicate And Seek Resolution

Reach out to your ex-partner and express your concerns about their non-payment. Choose a calm and friendly approach, as communication is key to resolving such disputes. Openly discuss the issue and try to find a mutually beneficial solution. Suggest exploring options like mediation or renegotiating the terms of the mortgage payments.

3. Consult An Attorney

If your attempts at resolution are unsuccessful, it may be necessary to seek legal advice. Consult an attorney experienced in property and family law to review your situation and provide guidance on the best course of action. They can inform you of your rights and help you explore potential legal remedies.

4. Document Everything

Keep a detailed record of all communications, including emails, text messages, or any other evidence of your attempts to resolve the situation. This documentation can be invaluable in case you need to take legal action or prove your case in court.

5. Notify The Bank Or Lender

If your ex-partner’s non-payment continues, it is important to notify the bank or lender about the situation. They may have their own protocols in place to address such issues. Informing them can help protect your credit and demonstrate that you are taking steps to mitigate the financial impact on yourself.

6. Consider Refinancing Or Selling The Property

If you are unable to resolve the issue and your ex-partner continues to neglect their financial obligations, you might want to consider refinancing the mortgage in your name only or selling the property. This can free you from the burdensome situation and allow you to move forward without their involvement.

When making such a decision, consult with a real estate professional and a financial advisor who can provide insight into the potential consequences and benefits of each option.

7. File A Lawsuit

If all else fails, you may need to take legal action. By filing a lawsuit against your ex-partner, you can seek a court judgment that compels them to pay their share of the mortgage and potentially recover any missed payments. It is crucial to consult your attorney before pursuing this step to ensure you have a strong case.


Dealing with a former partner who isn’t paying their share of the mortgage can be challenging, but taking the right steps can help you navigate this difficult situation. Start by reviewing the mortgage agreement, communicating with your ex-partner, and seeking legal advice if necessary. Remember to document all interactions and consider involving the bank or lender. If the issue persists, explore options like refinancing or selling the property. As a last resort, filing a lawsuit may be needed. Regardless of the path you choose, it’s important to protect your financial well-being and find a resolution that works for you.

Frequently Asked Questions On Ex Partner Hasn’t Paid Half The Mortgage For A Year: Discover How To Resolve Financial Disputes Amicably

Can My Ex-partner Stop Paying The Mortgage?

Yes, your ex-partner may stop paying, but it could impact both of your credit scores.

What Happens If My Ex Doesn’t Pay Their Share?

If your ex fails to pay, you are still responsible for the full mortgage payment.

Can I Take Legal Action For Unpaid Mortgage?

Yes, consulting with a legal professional can help you pursue legal action.

How Can I Protect My Credit Score?

Stay proactive by making timely payments while dealing with the situation legally.

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest posts

  • Pay off Mortgage Or Student Loans : Making the Smart Financial Choice!

    Pay off Mortgage or Student Loans When it comes to managing your finances, one of the biggest decisions you may face is whether to pay off your mortgage or student loans first. Both debts can weigh heavily on your budget and overall financial well-being. In this article, we’ll explore the factors to consider when making…

    Read more

  • Mortgage Payment Lost in Mail : Avoiding Financial Stress

    Mortgage Payment Lost in Mail Have you ever experienced the frustration and anxiety of a lost mail containing your mortgage payment? It can be a stressful situation, but fear not! In this article, we will discuss what to do if your mortgage payment is lost in the mail and how to prevent this issue in…

    Read more

  • Can I Change Mortgage Companies Without Refinancing: Insider Tips

    Can I Change Mortgage Companies Without Refinancing When it comes to your mortgage, it’s natural to want the best deal possible. As an homeowner, you may find yourself wondering if you can change mortgage companies without going through the lengthy and expensive process of refinancing. Well, the good news is that it is indeed possible…

    Read more