How to Get Your W2 from the Military After Separation: Expert Guide




As an affiliate, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.

To get your W2 from the military after separation, contact the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) for assistance. If you have recently separated from the military and need to obtain your W2 form, you can do so by reaching out to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).

It is important to have your social security number, branch of service, and dates of active duty available when contacting DFAS for expedited service. They will be able to provide you with the necessary information and guide you through the process of obtaining your W2 form.

By following these steps, you can ensure a smooth and efficient retrieval of your military W2 form post-separation.

Requesting Your W2

Contacting the Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) office is the first step in obtaining your W2 from the military after separation. Make sure to provide the necessary information and identification to expedite the process. The PSD office will require details such as your full name, social security number, and the year for which you need the W2.

Once you have submitted the request, it’s important to be aware of the timeframe for receiving your W2 from the military. The PSD office typically takes a few weeks to process requests and mail out the W2. However, this timeframe may vary depending on factors such as the volume of requests and any current administrative backlog.

Accessing Your W2 Online

Accessing your W2 online is a quick and convenient way to get the necessary tax information from your military service. The first step is to log into the Defense Finance and Accounting System (DFAS) website. Once there, you can navigate through the different sections to find your W2. Simply enter your login credentials, and you will be able to access your tax documents. However, sometimes there may be common issues that you might face while trying to access your W2 online. Troubleshooting these issues is important to ensure a smooth process. Checking your internet connection, clearing cache and cookies, or using a different browser can often resolve the problem. Remember to keep your login credentials secure and ensure that you follow any additional instructions provided by DFAS for accessing your W2 online.

Obtaining Your W2 Via Mail

To get your W2 from the military after separation, you can submit a request for a physical copy of your W2 via mail. It is essential to ensure that you provide the correct mailing address and contact information for a smooth delivery. Double-checking your information will help avoid any delays or issues. Once you have submitted your request, you can track its status to stay updated on the progress. This will enable you to know when to expect your W2 and provide any necessary follow-up if required.

Additional Resources For W2 Assistance

For military personnel who have separated from service and need to obtain their W2, there are additional resources available to assist with this process.

To start, individuals can consider contacting the IRS for further guidance on obtaining their W2 form. The IRS website provides information on the necessary steps to take and can help answer any specific questions.

Another option is to seek assistance from a tax professional. These professionals have experience in navigating the complexities of tax documentation and can provide personalized guidance on obtaining the W2 from military service.

Additionally, exploring other military support services can be beneficial. Many organizations offer assistance and resources specifically tailored to W2-related inquiries for military personnel. These services can provide additional guidance and support during the process.

Frequently Asked Questions Of How To Get W2 From Military After Separation

How Can I Obtain My W2 From The Military After Separation?

To obtain your W2 from the military after separation, you can request it through the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) website or by contacting them directly.

What Information Do I Need To Request My Military W2?

When requesting your military W2, you will need to provide your full name, social security number, branch of service, and the year for which you need the W2.

How Long Does It Take To Receive My Military W2 After Requesting It?

The processing time for military W2s varies, but typically you can expect to receive it within 10-14 days after your request has been processed by the DFAS.

Can I Request A Copy Of My Military W2 If I Am No Longer In The Military?

Yes, even if you are no longer in the military, you can still request a copy of your military W2 from the DFAS using the same process as current military members.

Is There A Fee For Requesting A Copy Of My Military W2?

No, there is no fee for requesting a copy of your military W2. The DFAS provides this service free of charge for current and former military members.

What Should I Do If I Never Received My Military W2?

If you have not received your military W2, you should contact the DFAS directly to inquire about the status of your request or to request a replacement W2 if necessary.


Getting your W2 form from the military after separation is essential for tax purposes. By following a few simple steps, you can easily obtain this important document. Ensure you have the necessary information, such as your Social Security number and the year you need the form for.

Utilize the online tools provided by the military to request and access your W2 quickly and conveniently. Remember to be patient, as the process may take some time. Taking these steps will ensure you are fully prepared for tax season and can accurately report your income.

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest posts

  • Pay off Mortgage Or Student Loans : Making the Smart Financial Choice!

    Pay off Mortgage or Student Loans When it comes to managing your finances, one of the biggest decisions you may face is whether to pay off your mortgage or student loans first. Both debts can weigh heavily on your budget and overall financial well-being. In this article, we’ll explore the factors to consider when making…

    Read more

  • Mortgage Payment Lost in Mail : Avoiding Financial Stress

    Mortgage Payment Lost in Mail Have you ever experienced the frustration and anxiety of a lost mail containing your mortgage payment? It can be a stressful situation, but fear not! In this article, we will discuss what to do if your mortgage payment is lost in the mail and how to prevent this issue in…

    Read more

  • Can I Change Mortgage Companies Without Refinancing: Insider Tips

    Can I Change Mortgage Companies Without Refinancing When it comes to your mortgage, it’s natural to want the best deal possible. As an homeowner, you may find yourself wondering if you can change mortgage companies without going through the lengthy and expensive process of refinancing. Well, the good news is that it is indeed possible…

    Read more